- ½ lb mixed mushrooms (e.g., maitake, king oyster, pioppini, baby bella)
- ½ lb ramps (or leeks or sweet onions)
- 4 T butter
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup cream, milk or half and half
- 6 – 8 oz cheese (cheddar works well), grated
- 1 T chopped fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, etc.)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Slice the mushrooms and sauté in butter 3 to 5 minutes.
- Dice the bulbs of the ramps and add to the skillet. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Chop the ramp greens and add to the skillet. Stir and reduce the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 8 eggs and the ¼ cup of cream, milk or half and half.
- Whisk in the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the grated cheese.
- Once the ramp greens have wilted, pour the egg and cheese mixture over the mushrooms and ramps in the skillet, stir to combine.
- Sprinkle herbs over the frittata.
- Let cook over the stove five minutes, allowing the bottom of the frittata to set.
- Transfer frittata to the oven and bake 25-30 minutes.
Serving and Variation Ideas:
- Pair with a red Burgundy to bring out the earthiness of the mushrooms.
- Try different combinations of mushrooms and cheeses.
- Serve with roasted root vegetables and/or lightly dressed salads.
- Make a frittata on Sunday and reheat for easy breakfasts and lunches throughout the week.